1. Create a simple elegant holiday look using potted flowers, fruit like orange pomanders or orange and cinnamon sticks around a candle or bring in greenery from the outdoors.
Add a few large glass vases (or stock at the thrift store) and fill with ornaments or candy in a color that matches your house decor.
2. Plan your holiday party drink & snack to keep it simple. Serve Kir Royale or a regular Kir . Plan to serve something simply divine like smoked salmon on brown bread or shrimp on a stick. Stock up on ingredients, ready to put together to dazzle your guests in an hour.
3. Throw an impromptu party. Serve a late afternoon drink with mini sandwiches, or an after dinner drink with champagne & dessert.
4. Prepare a fire and have a drinks tray nearby with all the trimmings including some nibbles handy in case you are in a festive mood or someone pops in. Put your favorite holiday music on.
5. Pick up some home made jams, special chocolates or cookies and pretty up with a bold ribbon trim ready for emergency gifts.
6. Calendar in 30 minutes a day of alone time in your Le Chic Cocoon, to luxuriate in. No matter what!
7. Buy a box of Christmas crackers and make everyone wear paper crowns, or holiday hats at breakfast or dinner.
8. Write out your Holiday Spirit Philosophy – what does this holiday mean to you?
9. Happiness can be elusive in the struggle to be festive. Create a mood and a list of possible activities that keep joy afloat. Walks outside. Games. Reading aloud, whatever appeals to you.
10. Schedule in spa time or nap / recover time for everyone
11. Have everyone throw ideas into a big bowl for activities and take turns
12. Suggest to friends and family that you all embark on an adventure together in lieu of gifts next year and start dreaming of where you could go. Create a shared vision board
13. Hide the little presents and make it a treasure hunt.
14. Put a pile of fancy soaps in the guest bathroom, some fabulous finger tip towels, a wonderful scented candle to promote a sense of luxury.
What is your favorite trick for holidaying with an elegant ease?
Joie de vivre,